Stone Slab Protection Film: Exploring SlabWrap© and SlabWrap© ‘Protect’
SlabWrap© Stone Protection Film truly is one of those cases where the simplest innovation really can add the most value to those who use it.
The idea for SlabWrap© was born when out customers kept coming to us looking for stain removers after the surface became dirty following edge polishing.
We work closely with Federchemicals, world-renowned for their ability to create the very best chemicals and treatments for stone surfaces, but even they found that such deeply embedded stains were exceptionally difficult to treat.
One thing we were really interested in was what could be causing such deeply-embedded staining within the stone’s surface, the answer was simple – high pressure and dirty water. Our research found that as the stone slab is moved through the edge polishers the rollers have to exert a huge amount of force onto the stone to keep it rolling.
This pressure, combined with the wastewater expelled by the polisher, means that dirty water is literally forced deep into the stone. It’s this process that stains the surface.
SlabWrap© provides a much-needed protective layer against the pressure of your edge polisher rollers that can embed slurry and dust deep into the surface of the stone. Many will know from experience that this staining can even be permanent, ruining the slab entirely.
SlabWrap© acts as a tough, waterproof layer that prevents damage to the stone’s surface and is easily applied and removed with no messy residue left behind. What’s more, the film won’t interfere with your edge polisher meaning risk-free protection.
How SlabWrap© Works:
- Edge polishing machines use toughened rubber rollers to guide the stone along the belt – these rollers press firmly on the stone, guiding it slowly forward through the positions.
- As the edge polisher works, large volumes of pressurised water are used to achieve the perfect polished edge and get the most from the pads.
- This water, coupled with the dust created through stock removal, creates a slurry. The pressure exerted by the rollers forces this dirty water into the porous surface of the stone – as the rollers move they force this slurry downward.
- The end result is that the surface of the stone can become stained, ruining the finish. This staining can be very difficult to remove and in the worst cases can be untreatable meaning the whole slab is ruined!
- The easily applied SlabWrap provides a simple surface barrier against staining, just apply a single layer of the lightly adhesive film to the top of the slab where the rollers would come into contact.
- SlabWrap doesn’t interfere with your edge polisher and allows rollers to easily guide the stone as if it weren’t there.
- The SlabWrap film protects from dirty water being forced into the stone whilst allowing your edge polisher to create a flawlessly polished edge.
- Using SlabWrap means none of the slurry can be forced into the surface of the stone. This effective barrier works well on all horizontal edge machines.
- When your polishing is finished, simply peel away your used SlabWrap. There’s no adhesive residue left behind, and minimal waste, but you’ve protected your stone’s surface from staining, extra work and any additional, unnecessary costs!
SlabWrap© is available in two sizes, the standard SlabWrap© is 150mm wide and our latest addition to the range, SlabWrap© ‘Protect’ is 600mm wide. ‘Protect’ has been designed to act as a unique, flexible protective wrapping for stone slabs during storage and transportation.
Think you could benefit from the SlabWrap© range? Get in touch today!